I have left you alone for quite some time now, knowing you are quietly waiting for me to add new thoughts to your now seemingly barren landscape. I have had a few blog ideas come up in the last few months, but none have really stuck. I thought I would write something very simple to remind me that writing is not so hard. And lately I have been reflecting on life and simple things and how they come together to make every day a bit better. So without any order, or too much thought really, here are my favourite things.
- Biking down the Victoria Promenade first thing in the morning on the way to work when the air is still crisp. I have to remind myself to look to the right every morning, but then when I do, I’m really happy.
- Standing outside the door of a gathering of friends or family and hearing them laughing inside. It’s heart-warming in a very specific way.
- Swimming. It just is. I wrote a post about why already. But every time I’m doing my laps I think “Man. I love this so much.” – and then I usually lose the rhythm of my breath and almost drown. But … I still love it. Something about the clear water in front of you and the ripples. I’m a dork.
- That Kyle sends me notes whenever he lands somewhere he can. It’s simple, and kind, and reminds me that despite our lives that we live half apart sometimes, that he’s thinking of me too.
- Tuesday, and the fact that she curls into my arm at night and sleeps with me like a little human would, complete with face pats. Some nights she sleeps with her face actually placed on top of mine, which is both uncomfortable, and endearing.
- Meeting someone you have admired from afar in person, and finding out they are even better than you thought they were.
- The second night in a new city, when you know your way back to where you’re staying and feel less like a newbie, but you’re still really excited to be in a new place.
- Planes taking off.
- Planes landing in new places.
- Unexpected gifts.
- Giving unexpected gifts.
- Perfect hugs. You know what I mean – the kind that envelope you. Usually the hugger is wearing a great sweater. The huggee’s attire does not matter as much.
- Actually having an impact. Whether somehow that’s on someone else, or in your workday, or on your own personal life. Results that are positive are the most amazing things.
I think that’s it for now. This post isn’t one that will probably last the ages. But life has been a bit negative the last week. People are having a hard time out there, in huge horrible ways, and in small minute ways. Everyone has challenges, and I am more aware of my own blessings than ever and so well I thought it would be nice to say positive things. Probably more for myself than anything.
Thanks for humouring me. If you want to leave YOUR favourite things in the comments God I would love to hear them!